McCartin fails concussion test in Swans’ comeback win over Hawks

The Sydney Swans say they will take “every precaution” with Paddy McCartin after he failed a concussion test during the 41-point win over Hawthorn in Launceston.

Key points:

  • McCartin was subbed out in the third quarter against the Hawks
  • The former Saint has a history of suffering concussion during his AFL career
  • The Swans kicked nine straight goals late in the match to overhaul the Hawks

McCartin, who has had a history of suffering concussion during his AFL career, was subbed out in the third quarter of the 16.13 (109) to 10.8 (68) victory, having received a knee to the head.

He cut a despondent figure in the Swans’ dressing room, with the club giving an update on his condition during the fourth quarter.

“Paddy is OK but we will take every precaution,” the Swans tweeted.


The 26-year-old will have to observe the AFL’s concussion protocols, ruling him out of the Swans’ round-seven match against Brisbane on Sunday.

McCartin was delisted by his former club St Kilda at the end of the 2019 season after managing just 37 senior matches, largely because of a string of concussions.

The Swans ended the match against the Hawks one player down after forward Logan McDonald also failed a concussion test.

They finished with nine straight goals to record an inspiring comeback victory, despite some errant kicking in the Anzac Day encounter.

The Swans had conceded the first 32 points in the match.

After a wayward beginning, Lance Franklin (three goals) got his side ahead for the first time with about 10 minutes left on the clock.

Ben Ronke (three goals) and Oliver Florent were among those to jump on his coat-tails as Sydney ran out convincing winners.

Callum Mills was heavily involved for the Swans, topping the match possession count with 37 disposals to go with five tackles, three score assists and a goal.

As they did in their upset win against Geelong last round, the Hawks started on fire, slotting the first five goals before the Swans even got on the board.

The tension was noticeable on field for Sydney, with Dane Rampe unloading on teammate Chad Warner after a defensive lapse resulted in a Hawthorn major.

After the sluggish start, Sydney rebounded with the last three goals of the first term to reduce the margin to 14 points at the first break.

The second quarter was a scrappy affair, with Franklin at one stage sitting on an uncharacteristic 1.4 in front of goal.

Sydney came to life towards the end of the third quarter, going back-to-back to help reduce the Hawks’ lead to 62-53 leading into the last quarter.

Jacob Koschitzke kicked three goals for Hawthorn, who is 3-3 after six rounds.




Author: Ivan Robinson