The AFL says Collingwood’s Jordan De Goey will donate $10,000 to charity following a highly-publicised altercation in a New York bar last year.
- De Goey will make the donation to the Salvation Army
- The AFL says De Goey had engaged in “conduct unbecoming”
- He pleaded guilty to a downgraded charge of harassment in Manhattan Criminal Court
Collingwood had stood down De Goey in October after it emerged the 25-year-old had been arrested for his involvement in a drunken incident while in the United States.
De Goey eventually pleaded guilty to the downgraded charge of harassment, which saw him avoid a jail sentence and freed him up to rejoin the Magpies.
The AFL announced on Friday evening it had completed its investigation into De Goey’s conduct overseas.
De Goey was found to have breached AFL rules “by engaging in conduct unbecoming”.
He had already been sanctioned by Collingwood, who has required him to work part-time with the Salvation Army.
“While the AFL found that the altercation that Jordan became embroiled in was not instigated by him, he nevertheless weighed into it in an intoxicated state that led to him being ejected from the venue and ultimately subject to police action,” an AFL statement read.
“Jordan has previously been issued a sanction by the Manhattan Criminal Court and the Collingwood Football Club has required him to commit to permanent part-time work with the Salvation Army.
“In recognition of Jordan’s ongoing involvement with the Salvation Army, as a result of his breach of the AFL rules, he is required to make a $10,000 donation to that charitable organisation.”
Collingwood released a statement saying the club considered the matter “closed”.
De Goey suffered a broken rib while training in February, but he is expected to be fit for the Magpies’ round-one clash with St Kilda on March 18.
Source: AFL NEWS ABC